If you're like most homeowners in Riverside, CA, you are constantly running in an out of your house whether it is leaving for work, rushing the kids off to school, or going out for personal business. Of all the times you leave the house and then return, there are probably only a few times at most that you actually glance up at your roof and look at the condition it's in. Unfortunately, this will not help you maintain your roof properly so that you see when it needs even the slightest of repairs which could become extremely costly if they are not corrected immediately.
Regularly inspecting your Riverside roof can save you a lot of time, money, and grief in the long run as this will help you to avoid costlier repairs. Another important benefit of keeping your roof in pristine condition is that it helps maintain the value of your home, especially if you put it on the market for sale. According to the NRCA (National Roofing Contractors Association) you should inspect your roof every 6 months and immediately after a storm involving hail and high winds. Typically you should do this in spring and fall.
Start At The Top
The NRCA recommends starting in your attic and looking for signs indicating that you may need to repair your roof. Take your flashlight with you and look for the following 4 things in your attic:
- Check for indications of water damage and leaking
- Look for areas in the roof deck that appear to be sagging
- See if you can find any dark spots and trails caused by water
- Watch for any light that is coming through your roof
These are all indicators of possible roof damage and will require contacting a roofing repair contractor in Riverside, CA to fix these issues.
Check Your Home's Exterior
There are certain things to look for when you are checking your Riverside roof's exterior. These include algae growth (more common in humid climates), blistering, buckling, curling, damaged flashing, missing shingles, and rotting. In addition to these problems, you will want to do the following:
- Examine all areas of your roof drainage and make sure that all downspouts and gutters are attached securely.
- Inspect the roof and see if there are bald, cracked, missing, or torn shingles.
- Look for loose materials and worn areas around chimneys, pipes, and vents.
- Make sure that every bathroom, dryer, and kitchen vents go completely outside your home (you don't want them just emptying in the attic).
- See if there are shingle granules accumulating in your rain gutters (indicates advanced wear and tear)
- Watch for areas where moisture accumulates as well as indications of mold and rot.
Additionally, if your roof is comprised of wooden shakes, you need to keep an eye out for carpenter ant and termite damage as well as any other types of pests that are classified as wood borers.
Get Started Before It's Too Late
It is always better to contact a roofing contractor in Riverside, CA and make those roofing repairs the moment you notice any problems. Otherwise, the cost of those repairs could increase dramatically. If you love having a roof over your head, you don't want to wait until the slight drip becomes a major leak. Remember, preventative roof maintenance and repair is not something to be taken lightly unless you have an endless budget for more costly repairs down the road.